Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 84 COME JOIN ME!!!!L

OK, here's the reality:  people are not going to be fascinated and motivated by me forever.  I am not the only overweight, middle aged woman trying to get fit and also raise money for a cause close to her heart.  Over time, its just not that interesting anymore.

SO.......I NEED YOUR HELP!!!  Get off your fat or skinny behinds and come join me!  Start your own blog.  You'd be amazed what you notice about your day when you know you'll be writing about it later.  OR, don't start a blog, but join me at the triathlon and have your friends and family sponsor you and you can raise money for Patrick.  You can refer your supporters to my blog and they can donate from there.  You can also always accept checks to Sr. Paulanne's Needy Family Fund, Attn: Patrick Stein in the memo section.

It is so much more fun to have a group.  The energy is contagious.  And frankly, I'm a different person today than I was last year at this time.  Unless you are one hundred percent satisfied with your self, and god bless you because you're going to hell for lying, its amazing to take on something like this.  Your stories will mean so much more to your family and friends than mine.  Your transformation will transform them.

The triathlon is August 26, a Sunday.  On August 25, there is a super sprint triathlon.  Its half the distance of the sprint, so the break down for the super sprint is 1/4 mile swim, 6 mile bike and 1.5 mile walk/run.  I started at this level several years ago and it is very manageable  Anyone who participates on Saturday I will be there with bells on, balloons, signs and lots of cheering.  Its a GREAT way to work your way into a triathlon.

August 26 is the full distance and the sprint distance.  The sprint is 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 3 mile walk/run.  The traditional distance is twice that.  

And, ultimately its all about Patrick.  The personal transformation alone is worth it, but then to raise money for a great kid...it doesn't get much better than that.  Personal indulgence at its best!

I committed at the start of my blog last year to not let politics get in the way of reading and writing.  So anything I write here is fact and you can draw your own conclusions.  Right now, the Steins and Patrick are in imminent danger of losing all their nursing care from the state Waiver program they are involved in.  They have already appealed once and lost.  They are now appealing in Circuit Court.  I am a glass is half full kind of girl, always.  But the state is not flexible.  The cost of care is about $300,000 a year to care for Patrick at home.  The state's recommended alternative to those who are not in a financial position to support that care, is to place the child in a hospital or nursing home.  They will pay for a long term hospital or nursing home for the child.  Without boring you with the numbers, it is hugely more expensive to pay for care in a hospital or nursing home.  The Steins are not the only family faced with these type of decisions.  A child, living in a nursing home?  My God.

The reason Pat has lost his Waiver status is because his trach is out and the state feels he no longer requires the level of care needed to qualify for their program.  Again, I'll skip the details, but if you are interested, message me and I will fill you in.  I was at the appeal with Patrick and his parents.  Remember, Patrick's primary goal was to get his track taken out, and it was last October.  After the appeal, when we were back in the van, Patrick said (blinked), "What exactly happened in there?"  I explained.  He said, "Why didn't anyone tell me I would lose my nurses if I lost the trach?"  I asked him if it would have mattered, would he have considered keeping the track.  And he said yes.  Imagine making that kind of decision.  At 19 years old.

So money continues to be needed to keep Patrick at home.  He's also on the verge of getting an awesome electric wheelchair that will give him so much independence and drive the rest of us crazy.  Money is needed for that.  And for continued therapy.

I really hate talking about money.  But its money to support a life.  And not a life in terms of  a beating heart kind of life, though statistically a person's life expectancy decreases hugely when in a nursing home, its about supporting a life in the fullest sense of the word.  Life as an experience, a calling, a roller coaster, a living vision, an opportunity to make your mark in time.  That's what you are supporting.  How cool is that????

So of course I welcome any contribution you can make.  Anything.  Our goal is to beat last year's $10,000.  But much more awesome for you, me and Patrick, is if you joined me and engaged YOUR buds to pitch in.  And we'll have a giant party!!

COME ON!  JUMP IN!  ITS NEVER TOO LATE TO TRANSFORM!!!!

WWW.CHICAGOTRI.COM  SIGN UP!!!!
(if that's not the right sight, google it)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all you do mary jo! I'm a close friend of patrick's and would like to contact you about some more info and a possible fundraiser :)
    Can I email you? Or how can I get in contact with you

    Best,
    Keeley

    ReplyDelete