Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 84 June 22, 2012...Freedom!!!!

I have been remiss!  My book club gals essentially told me to get off my ass and get back to my blog...not in so many words, but I got the message and they are right.  And its not like there's nothing to talk about!

So, I believe it was on day 12 I said this journey is not about size and pounds.  My exact words were "Its freedom to move and live in the world as fully and freely as I want." Renee and I took my nephew Timmy on a week's vacation to LA, June 14-21.  Each summer after one of my nieces or nephew finishes their freshman year in high school, Renee and I will take them anywhere they want to go in the world...as long as their parent's agree.  Patrick picked Alaska, Annie picked Italy and Timmy picked LA. Apparently it is normal for almost 15 year old boys not to talk much.  So, I'm not exactly sure why he wanted to go to LA, but we went and had a great time.  There were a few things I was worried about.  Typically when I fly, I need to use a seat belt extender...only about an inch or two of it, but still.  I have not put down my tray table in years.  It lands on my belly and everything slides backwards into the seat pocket in front of me.  These things don't rock my world and I don't spend a lot of time stressing about it, but I never want someone I love have to have a front row seat to my adaptations.  Especially when it is one of my nieces or nephews.  I'm discreet, they're discreet, but still.

We got seated and I casually reached for my seat belt, pulled it over like it was no big deal, while mentally holding my breath and SUCCESS!!! No extender needed and even about an inch to spare.  Got tired of holding my Kindle and wanted to rest it on the tray top.  Did I dare tempt fate twice?  Why not?  SUCCESS!!!

I cannot tell you what it felt like to be normal.  Not to stick out...literally and figuratively.  Clearly I don't mind standing out in a crowd, but its nice to pick the circumstances.

We landed in San Diego and spent the night in our home and set out for LA the next morning in Renee's custom graffittied car.  Yes, you heard me correctly.  She's an artist.  We stayed in Santa Monica, just a couple blocks from the famous Santa Monica Pier.  We got to the hotel, dropped off our stuff and walked to the pier to check it out.  Had dinner, jumped on the Ferris Wheel which is awesome.  Then Timmy and I headed over to the roller coaster.  At the last minute he changed his mind and we went on this death defying torture ride (picture to left).  We climbed into our row, I'm laughing, he's telling me to shut up, and we hear the lock on the safety bar release and we are instructed to pull down the bar until it locks again.  Shit.  In a split second I realize there is a very real possibility the bar will not close on me.  This has happened before and was one of the few times I truly was embarrassed and devasted.  I do not like to be stopped.  All this is running through my mind as I suck it in, push down on the bar and SUCCESS!!!  NOT with an inch to spare.  Thank god fat squishes.  But I did it.





YEAH BABY!!!





1 comment:

  1. You are a great aunt.
    Re: seat belts n bars; kinda like when I sit slowly on an unknown/new chair.....

    Love You

    ReplyDelete