Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 95 Gotta Move My Ass!!!

Every bit of whatever is left of my ego is begging me not to post this...but why develop a sense of pride this far into the game??

I confess to lately doing EVERYTHING possible to avoid exercising.  Every excuse, every diversion, regardless of its validity or even truth!.  I'm tired.  I'm grieving the loss of my dad.  My back hurts.  I work hard and deserve a break, goddamn it. I might injure myself and then NEVER be able to exercise.  I work nights and sleep is much more important...you get the idea.

Yesterday I reached a new low even for me...I think its safe to say a new low for anyone.  I bought AND watched a DVD on how to swim.  I know how to swim.  I'm actually a pretty good swimmer.  I am, and I'm being completely honest here, a human bobber.  I will digress for just a moment and explain.  My one and only god given talent is that I can float anywhere there is water.  And not just float on my back like the rest of you mundane, average folk, I can float vertically.  I can float, standing up, in deep water, and not move a muscle to keep myself floating.  I can float vertically and read a book in the middle of Lake Michigan. Don't run to call 1-800 GuinessBookof Records.  I would feel embarrassed flaunting a natural gift that I was born with.  And don't feel bad that you, too, cannot perform this feat.  God chose me, above all others, to be a human bobber;  otherwise known as an extreme floater.

Another slight digression, though related.  If I already wrote about this, I apologize.  Two years ago I was on vacation in Fiji, with my best friend Maria. We went on a long jungle hike that ended at the most magnificent waterfall.  I am a waterfall nut.  The guide that was with us was a native Fijian who had never left his island.  Amazing, wonderful, fascinating man.  Little did I know he would find me equally fascinating.  We were swimming under and around the waterfall. The water was deep and over all our heads. I turned to wait for Maria to come out of the waterfall and realized our guide, Simone, kept diving under the water around me.  I thought this was a little odd and wondered if this was some Fijian water game I was supposed to join.  I assumed a pleasant and eager look on my face, like "sure I'll join in this native, yet odd game", not wanting to appear the stuck up American.  After several dives, he popped up and asked, "how do you do it"? "Do what"? "Stand in the water and not move"?

I had assumed my normal position of floating standing up.  By the next morning, all the employees at our hotel came up to us and asked me to demonstrate in the pool.  This was a small island and the word had spread that the "fat, white American lady had a magical gift"!  I was famous for a week!  And magical!

The point to all this being, not only can I swim, I'm virtually unsinkable.  Yet, I found it absolutely necessary to order, pay for, wait for delivery and watch a DVD on swimming.  10 Easy Lessons to Swimming Freestyle. Sigh.

 I'm writing this from our beautiful home in San Diego.  Its sunny, breezy and our neighbors have let me use their pool to train.  I am getting up, going for a long walk and then going in the pool.  I am getting up, going for a long walk and then going in the pool.  I am getting up.....

In one, very small attempt at self defense, the swim DVD is supposed to be a somewhat Zen approach to swimming.  And I am nothing, if not Zen.


1 comment:

  1. It was simply your swim visualization and meditation time. Be the water, be the water... :)

    ReplyDelete