Saturday, December 8, 2012

WE'RE BAAAAACK!

You know you're in trouble when you dust off your scale to avoid any possible bit of extra weight.  Really in trouble.

Date of the triathlon: August 26, 2012.  Last time I exercised: August 26, 2012.

Sigh.

Okay, that's not exactly true.  Its the last time I did any traditional type exercise, ie: swimming, biking, walking....the usual drill.  However, about 6 weeks ago I started taking ballroom dancing lessons.  Yes, I have my own private, Russian, child (27 years old) who is teaching me the Rumba, Salsa and ChaCha. LOVING IT!!!  Not sure he is, but I sure am!!!  Its also very hard...who knew?  Dancing With The Stars makes it look so easy, plus I really had no expectations of lifts (ha!), handsprings (maybe) or being suspended from the ceiling.  How hard could it be?  Very hard.

I started this because I was in immediate danger of losing every ounce of healthy momentum I had gained while training for the triathlon.  Just in case I have not mentioned this before, and I know by looking at me, its hard to imagine, but I HATE exercising.  Never have, never will.  I experienced an endorphin induced high one time.  Once.  That is not motivation to give up other endorphin stimulating habits, ie; eating, drinking and lazing around.  But I had come too far to allow myself to lose too much ground and every person, book, magazine article, View episode and Oprah when I could afford to watch her, says in order to be consistent with exercise, pick something you love to do.  Do I need to state the obvious?  That is a very shallow pool of options.  I do, however, love to dance.  Love it, love it, love it.

So, I went across the street to Northshore Ballroom, (which immediately shut down two days after I signed up) had my introductory lesson and signed up for the package.  Vlad, my private,  Russian, ballroom dance teacher said I at least knew my right foot from my left...most of the time...so I figured, what the hell.  Although he was closing his studio, Vlad is still teaching out of a studio in Wilmette, so I was set.

So I have once again thrown myself into a situation where I have no experience, no knowledge and questionable potential.  Well, not entirely no experience...tap dancing lessons as a kid, a few high school musicals and I can move on the dance floor...all that clubbing that I do.  Plus, I have mastered the ability to dance without having to barely move my feet, so I never get out of breath.

Yeah, this, is not that.  Yet another leave your ego at the door less it be permanently squashed experience.  And the room is fully paneled in mirrors.  No matter where you look, there you are.  And I really don't have anything cute to wear to distract me from the 360 degree vision of myself dancing with my handsome, private, Russian, ballroom dancing teacher.  So I'm motivated to get in shape so I can buy some cute flouncy skirt and fishnet stockings like the other girls wear (I spy on their classes).

Also motivated to get in shape so I can just fucking DANCE.  You have to be in really good cardiovascular shape!  When I was training for the triathlon, I definitely improved my CV endurance, but speed was never the issue..  But you just can't salsa slowly.  It looks really stupid.  So does my teacher dragging my ass around because I'm about to pass out.

Apparently another key to successful dancing is using your "core".  I'm not exactly sure where or what my core is, but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it in awhile.  Along with my clavicle.  I need a recognisance mission to find my core, clavicle and at least one hip bone.

 Just in case you are wondering, I AM doing the 2013 Chicago Triathlon.  Right after the one in August, the PR firm that covers the triathlon contacted me and said if I was going to do it again, they wanted to follow me and Patrick and help us raise more money!  Can't say no to that!

Another journey begins!

2 comments:

  1. Another amusing post Mary Jo....Good luck to you on your new endeavours! Love Ali. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Keep us posted. Love, Sylvia

    ReplyDelete