Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Day 117 (Counting down this time) Hi From Patrick (and Mary Jo)

May Day May Day!!!  I know May Day has all sorts of religious and pagan ritual connotations, but I've always associated it with a cry for help...like when the ship is going down.  I am participating in the 2013 Chicago Triathlon since last year was such a huge success!!!  As always however, I need as much help as I can get....so May Day!!

The following is directly from Patrick to all of you:
"Hey gang, slow and steady wins the race.  Both of us.  I just always keep thinking never give up.  And don't worry, this time shall pass. The times when things are hard.  I realize things may not change as fast as I initially thought.  But some day it will be just a short memory."

That's Patrick.  Very rarely discouraged.  Never whines.  Never complains.  Sometimes acts like a little prick, but I'm beginning to think that goes with the territory of being 20 and not having a whole lot of control in your life.  Thank God I can complain and whine for both of us!

Just to recap:
1) 2012 Triathlon completed at the record breaking time of 4hrs 37min (lets not waste a lot of time on exactly which record I broke)
2) Been continuing to ballroom dance since November 3x/wk.  LOVE IT but still cannot breath after about 30 seconds of swing, salsa or cha cha.  Can go about a minute on rumba because its slow.
3) Realize although dancing 3x/wk may bring me to my goal of national ballroom champion at the age of 70, I don't have that long to get in shape for the triathlon.  Let me just state for the record being a national champion is not my goal but I like the way it sounds.  Dancing With The Stars however....
4) Have hired the MOST WONDERFUL TRAINER, Mary Nimrod.  She's local here in Glenview and is fantastic.  I see her 2x/wk.  Between her and Vlad (my Russian dancing teacher who has the patience of a saint even though he drives me crazy) I intend to cut off an hour and a half from my triathlon time and lose 25 pounds.

Done.  Said it.  Put it in writing.

A few updates on Patrick.  Patrick's trach tube was removed in October.  This was a huge step for him and he spent a long, hard year advocating for himself to his doctors.  He is now taking college courses. He's also beginning to see himself as bigger than his injury and thinking about where he will be in the world as a young man.  Thinking about entrepreneurial ventures and what he can contribute to the world.

Patrick and I also performed a stand up comedy routine at the Laughing Chameleon in Glenview in December.  I think I speak for both of us when I say it was a huge success.  If anyone knows anything about editing a DVD let me know.  We have a great video recording of the night but it needs some editing...not every line was a pearl!

                                                      Me and Patrick at the Comedy Club.

So much to talk about since I've been quiet since December.  I'll spread it over a few days.  Your peace and quiet is over!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck and god speed on your training! Backing you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're blogging again.....can't wait for the updates, chuckles and optimism you always share! I expect you could dance your way through the Del Dios Do-Dah Parade this year!!!!

    Tiss (aka Sue's Cousin Chris from Ohio)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, LOTS of info up in heah...let's recap

    a. record breaking athletic endeavor. mazel tov!

    b. 25 pounds and over an hour off the run. check.

    c. Standup routine ON TAPE SOMEWHERES???? allegedly...

    d. Patrick striding through the entrepreneurial world. HELLYEAH! Like to hear more about what those activities are...I just hope it's not MJ Harte standup...'cause there's only one of y'all...

    xo
    dano

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It's great to hear about you and Patrick as well. I'd be interested in knowing how that program he flew to was. It seems like he is beginning to look at his life and his future more positively. Dani Krasinski still on your mailing list?

    ReplyDelete