Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 1

I am completely terrified.  In 148 days or 4.93 months, I am going to compete in the Chicago Triathlon, Sprint distance.  I'm not sure compete is exactly the right word since I'm pretty sure I will not be competing against anyone.  I don't know the appropriate athletic term for "want to participate, finish and survive"...in that order.

Just to be sure you understand the complete weight, pun intended, of my previous statement, I am 5'2, 263 pounds, 53 years old and have not seriously exercised in years.  I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you are asking, "why"? The answer follows below:

I spend most of my days, in one way or another, in the company of the most amazing, infuriating, stubborn, creative, infuriating, driven, persevering, stubborn, funny, insightful, indefatigable, adorable....did I mention infuriating,  person I know.  His name is Patrick Stein.  He is 19 years old.  I adore him, I love him and on most days he is the cause of every wrinkle I have.

His also a quadriplegic and has been for the last 18 months.  In October of 2010 Patrick underwent emergency brain surgery for a brain aneurysm.  After the surgery, Patrick was diagnosed with Locked-in Syndrome.  It is medically defined as having lost control of all purposeful movement other than your eyes and eyelids.  You cannot speak.  You cannot swallow.  You cannot move a single muscle other than your eyes and/or eyelids.  You cannot call out for help.  You cannot leave a room when you are tired of a conversation.  You cannot push someone out of your way.  You cannot kiss someone you love.  You cannot taste your favorite food.  You cannot sing your favorite song.  You cannot go to the bathroom by yourself.  You cannot breath without the tube in your throat.  You cannot fuck (at least not in the same way you used to).

You can: smile, laugh, think, understand, feel pain, happiness, frustration, anger, spell fuck you to your nurse, work hard on physical therapy every day, make huge improvements, text inappropriate messages to your friends (using a third party otherwise known as a texting bitch).  You can dream, concentrate, learn, make other people laugh, make other people cry, enjoy movies, watch Tosh.0 until your nurse is ready to run from the room screaming.  You can communicate with your eyes by spelling, giving the you are the dumbest person in the world and I can't believe you just said that stare, and smiling.

I am one of Patrick's nurses and he has impacted my life beyond description.  Earlier this week I was talking with Patrick and his athletic trainer, Greg Cadichon, during Patrick's physical therapy session.  I was whining about wanting to lose weight, not being able to lose weight, hating to try to lose weight....you get the idea.

Greg left the room for a minute and Patrick said (spelled) to me, "It is so easy for you to lose weight".

I started to answer, defending myself, outraged because if it was so easy, why am I still fat, smart ass?

As I'm talking, Patrick starts rapidly blinking his eyes, which is his signal that he has something to say; so essentially he was interrupting me.  I stopped talking and asked "why would you ever think it is so easy for me to lose weight"

He replied, "Because there are so many things you can do".

"You mean compared to you"?

He looked up. "Yes".

Well shit.  What do you possibly say to that?  There is no possible childhood trauma, lost love, missed opportunity, or bad marriage to trump that.

So.  I am going to be in the Chicago Triathalon, August 26, 2012.  I will be doing about a half mile swim, 14 mile bike and 3 mile run (walk).  This will be a fundraiser for Patrick and his foundation.  Much more to follow on how you can help Patrick and me out. His trainer Greg will be helping me prepare and train.  Others will help me with nutrition.  Mostly Patrick will motivate me because every time I mention it, he starts laughing hysterically.  Watch out dude.

Today is Day One.  I have done nothing but write this blog and started to cut out sugar in my diet.  Tomorrow I am going to "Boomer's Yoga".  I am hoping by midweek I will have actually completed some cardiovascular activity.

Follow me on my journey.

I am terrified.  But I'm more crazy about this kid than I am terrified.  That seems like a good place to start.  Patrick is a tremendous athlete.  Before his competitions he would tell his team "Crush it".

I will crush it.  Watch me.  Join me.

I dare you.  "There are so many things you can do."


17 comments:

  1. Holy freakin' crap...this is SO Mary Jo...naturally, I'm worried about the FREAKIN' ENORMOUS PHYSICAL STUFF about not just some lazy 10k thing, but a real physical challenge.

    So, naturally, ok. Good Golly, Miss Molly.

    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wow WOW!!!!! You never fail to amaze me, Mary Jo! I can't wait to read about your journey, literally and figuratively. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're SO gonna Crush it!!! And OMG, I had no idea that pic was on my google account which is the only way I could comment. It was going to be the cover of a 'health blog' I was going to write- HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison is that you?? People's names don't come up on the replies! Anyway, thank you! I just read your Nutrarian blog. Makes so much sense!

      Delete
  4. Whoohoo! Love it and can't wait to follow you on your journey. I have a health blog with some great recipes/tips I've picked up along the way (since I started eating a lot differently and working out more)... perhaps it can inspire you as you and Patrick inspire us: http://breatheandbewell.wordpress.com

    Crush it!!! (oh and it's Kate...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mary-Jo, What a brilliant story! I so admire you and Patrick. I will be cheering you on from Oz! Some people are incredible gifts in our lives and it seems that is what you are to each other. Big hugs. Ali

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Jo,
    Way cool! I wish both you and your agent provocateur all the best and knowing you, I know you will put everything into this.
    Love you and miss you so very much, Tracy in La Jolla.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MaryJo, I will surely follow along with you on your journey. I wish you all the best and know the Patrick will be there to keep you on task! Sue F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, thank you so much! Patrick is a task master like you cannot believe!

      Delete
    2. Hi Mary Jo,

      I know how good Patrick is at keeping you in line and on task. Keep up all your hard work.

      Colleen Reardon (Ed's wife)

      Delete
  8. It's Noelle. So now I have tears in my eyes at work - thanks a lot! You and Patrick are BOTH so inspiring. Can't wait to hear about you continuing to kick ass and take names.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My best friend forwarded me this blog! I am at work and have tears streaming down my face! I don't even care if someone walks in! What a beautiful story! God Bless you and Patrick! What an amazing kid and how lucky is he to have you in his life! From what I can read it works both ways! This blog is such an inspiration!
    Good luck and I will be cheering you both on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please keep us informed. The challenge of the challenge is so exciting. Big hugs from PS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you tried acupuncture on Patrick? There is a great acupuncturist in Maryland, 301 519 2346. Please try acupuncture Western medicine is so limited. The acupuncture website is www.easternhealingcenter.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nalini-chilkov/another-failure-of-medici_b_850234.html

    Please read this article about acupuncture. Maybe we can all raise money for him and get Patrick to China to get acupuncture at this place? Read article.

    ReplyDelete