Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day 12... Pics of Team Patrick

When I started this journey, Ed Reardon, owner of Results 22 in Glenview, asked me "What is your goal?  The race, losing weight or getting fit?"

I answered it was the race.  Completing the sprint triathlon.  It was about raising money for Patrick.  And if I lost weight and became fit along the way, that was great.

Not to be easily deterred, Ed followed up, "What if you were able to complete the race safely, but did not lose a pound along the way?  Would you be okay with that?"

Yes.  I would.  I'm not saying I wouldn't be disappointed, but if I got to the point where I was fit enough to safely finish the race, that is enough.  Size itself is not my issue.  Its freedom to move and live in the world as fully and freely as I want.  Again, having said that, losing a few lbs along the way would be great, but not a deal breaker.

5'2"   263lbs


For this reason, I don't want to spend a lot of energy talking about weight loss.  But it is a real issue in this journey.  My body is going to change in some way, so I'm posting the "before pictures".  Greg took these at his studio on Day 1 of my work out.  I think we can all be thankful I did not go for The Biggest Loser's bike shorts and sports bra look.

Meet our team:
This is a picture of Team Patrick: Greg Cabachon, Stephanie (Patrick's physical therapist), me and Patrick.  I got Patrick to smile by describing what I would look like crossing the finish line.




Laurel and Hardy run the Chicago Triathlon!
This is Stephanie, the beautiful and gifted physical therapist that works with Patrick along with Greg.  Stephanie is the first to join me in the triathlon! I'm not sure two more different body types exist. We are going to make a fabulous team on August 26!  Any bets on who will be the first to cross the finish line?

Join us!!!!  If I can do it, anybody can do it!!!

8 comments:

  1. wonderful...my fabulous Mary Jo: testifyin', braggin', pushin' the envelope...You'll do it all: raise money, complete the race, lose weight, regain mobility...xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course now that I joined you, I am now obsessed with this triatholon! But what did I do all day?? No, I did not research proper ways to train. I looked up outfits, bathing suits, and shoes to wear along our path!!!!!! I have great priorities.ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally into the Tri Gear! I just have to drop a few lbs so I get fit into them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go MJ ! I can't wait to read each day's new entry on the blog! Please give my best wishes to Patrick. And assure him that I have *lots* of great stories from your younger days in Glenview/Northbrook/ Northfield, IL, which I'm more than happy to share!!!

    Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear MJ, I happen to be teaching two courses on Food and Justice this semester. One topic is the artificially low price of "cheap, fast foods" -- externalities not taken into account in the pricing, and often borne unfairly by others, e.g., undocumented workers in meat-packing plants who are exploited... I wanted to let you know that I quoted you in *both* of my classes last week!! The story about the tiny Whole Foods ham, free of anti-biotics, hormones, coming from pigs who didn't live in cages.... and yet so expensive! It was the perfect example, and worked really well in a lecture based on some of Michael Pollan's work. So thanks for the story !! Used for a great teaching moment in two university classes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's great Julile!! Who knew someday I would be quoted in unniversity classes! I love Michael Pollan's work. Watching Food Inc. was a big influence in becoming a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete