Wednesday, August 29, 2012

YA BABY!! Day 148

 DONE. FINISHED. COMPLETE. FINITO
 I thought that perhaps my losing by blog into cyberspace last night was the universe's way of telling me to shut up and let the experience speak for itself...particularly since it is so hard for me to find the words to describe what the day of 8/26/12 or Day 148, was like.  So, as the saying goes...A picture is worth a 1000 words....



The horizon as the swim began.


My buddy Bill Nimrod and his wife Mary
caught me just I was starting the bike ride.
I thought I would have to walk my bike up
the first hill, but I didn't! Was able to ride up
the hill right out of the gate. My dad pushed me up the
other hills.
My friend Sue Leonis took this photo from
the North Ave bridge.  I was on my way to
Foster Ave.  The first 6.5 miles

6:15am Waiting to get in the water with buddy Courtney Callahan Loeb (waving).  This is
where the embarrassment began of being confused with Missy Franklin.  I did everything I could not to overshadow her.  She's so young to have her parade so heavily rained on.

The water was cold.  It was dark.  Could not see the finish line and my time would have been MUCH better if the lady next to me did not keep getting confused, turn on her back and start doing the back stroke IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!  I had to swim over and redirect her toward the finish line 3 times.  Seriously.

                           Now she got me waving back to her as I was heading  back to Randolph St, finishing up 13 miles.
                                                                                                            

The beginning of a very long walk.  
This was the part I dreaded.  I hate
walking. Its slow.  Its boring. And
I was a little tired.  I knew this would be 
my biggest challenge.
                                        My cheering squad.  Absolutely could not have done it with them and my   
                                                    Renee



My bud, Patrick.  He's what its all about.
   His mom, Colleen made this poster for me.
                       He still can't believe I did it. The night before he told me to get a DQ (disqualified) rather than suffer the embarrssment of a DNF (did not finish).  The little shit.

The best triathlon partner ever!!!! Stephanie, Patrick's PT

When they say it takes a village,
they aren't kidding.  This is the whole gang, friends, cousins, sister, brother, sister in law, niece, wife......the best and most loving support I could have imagined!

Patrick's mom, Colleen.  One hell of a woman and one hell of a mother.




Coming over the finish line.  I'm waving at the announcer because he's making a big deal over me.  People are so nice to you when you are fat!

This is a video that the professional photographers took as I crossed the finish line.  You can hear him saying my name and "Just Doing It".  It made me cry.
Worth every minute. Every tear. Every ache. Every minute of self doubt. Worth fighting not to give up when my Dad was dying. Worth continuing after a long 12 hr night shift.  After all this time, the concept of "worth" remains front and center.  I always knew Patrick was worth it.  I adore him.  What I learned is I am worth it too.

THE END
(not really, but it seemed like a fitting literary ending.  I'll be back!)

1 comment: